Garden State Laboratories, Inc.

BACTERIOLOGICAL AND CHEMICAL TESTING

Analytical Excellence Since 1943

 

A Brief HistoGSL Logory of Garden State Labs...

Garden State Labs was founded in 1943 by Mathew Klein, M.S. in Newark, NJ. In the late 40's the lab moved to Irvington, NJ and in 1988 it moved to its current facility in Hillside, NJ. Dairy, food and water bacteriology were the initial areas of analysis. Over the years chemical analyses including minerals, heavy metals, pesticides, herbicides, toxic organics and volatile organic compounds were instituted.

In the 60's, and 70's environmental analysis become an important facet of laboratory testing and Garden State Labs led the field in bringing these techniques to New Jersey. During this period Garden State Labs became very involved with swimming pool and other recreational bathing water testing. In the mid 70's Harvey Klein, M.S. joined his father in the lab and is currently laboratory director.

In the 80's and 90's our analytical instrumentation section grew with the acquisition of graphite furnace atomic absorption spectrophotometry (GF-AA), gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC-MS)and inductively coupled argon plasma atomic emission spectrophotometry (ICAP). This allowed for extensive analysis of drinking water, wastewater, sludges, soils, solid and hazardous wastes.

Our microbiology section kept up to date with advancements in the field, especially with rapid detection methods for pathogens, including salmonella and E. coli O157:H7, and food safety including Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point System (HACCP) information.

In 1993 Harvey Klein, M.S. was named as the first Chair of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protections Environmental Laboratory Advisory Committee.

In 1995 Garden State Labs set up a World Wide Web site on the internet.

Mathew Klein, M.S. died in July, 1996.

During the late 1990's Garden State Labs set up a network of sample pick up locations through out the northern and western parts of New Jersey.

In March of 2000 Garden State Labs opened its Jersey Shore Office to better service the Jersey Shore and southern New Jersey areas.

Garden State Labs earned NELAC Accreditation in January 2001. This is the highest level of environmental laboratory accreditation in the United States.

In February 2004 Garden State Labs opened its West Jersey Office in Glen Gardner, Hunterdon County, to better serve western New Jersey and the Highlands/Skyland region of Northwest New Jersey.

In May 2007 Garden State Labs opened the North Jersey Office in Sparta, Sussex County, to serve Northern New Jersey.

Return To GSL Home Page


Garden State Laboratories, Inc.
Copyright © 1995-2009 Garden State Laboratories, Inc. Last update 11/3/09